The music department contributes to the spiritual, artistic, cultural, academic, and co-curricular life aspect to campus life at the university. In doing so, the faculty is committed to blending their talent to fellowship to the highest degrees of professional artistry in praise of the Lord's name. We additionally hope to impact our surrounding community while fulfilling our mission.
Audition Process for all Music Majors
To gain degree-seeking status as a music major, a student must:
1). Successfully pass the following:
- Qualifying audition with performance of two contrasting works on his/her principal instrument (to be completed at the end of two semesters of study)
- For vocalists, aural examination of sight-reading and tonal memory ability
- For instrumentalists, sight reading and scales
2). Prepare a portfolio for musical activities (solo and ensemble) and examples of music course work. This portfolio is to be:
- Presented at the time of the audition
- Returned to the student for additions to be made throughout the students' undergraduate career
3). Transfer students will have their transcripts evaluated by the music faculty for determination of credited coursework and hours.
4). The deadline for auditioning is the end of the 2nd semester from the time of declaration. There are three possible results for an audition:
- Active -This grants formal acceptance into upper division status
- Provisional -A repeat of the audition is requested by the faculty at the end of the next semester to demonstrate progress
- Fail -The student is not accepted as a music major