Public Relations Major (A)
The Public Relations major focuses on building communication, developing problem-solving skills, and developing an effective, measurable campaign. Students will gain experience by designing, implementing and measuring a public relations campaign for actual organizations who provide consultation and feedback. Social media and brand management, crisis response, event management, content creation and reputation management are all integrated throughout the curriculum.
Program Learning Outcomes
By fulfilling all of the course requirements for the Bachelor's of Science in Public Relations, students will be able to:
1. Write in a precise and persuasive manner.
2. Engage in effective and appropriate public speaking under a variety of circumstances.
3. Evaluate ethical dilemmas from a legal, practical, and spiritual perspectives.
4. Recognize the cultural differences in order to effectively communicate with diverse audiences.
5. Engage in substantial research including organizational, situational, GAP and diagnostic analyses
6. Create a crisis response plan and practice crisis communication strategies.
7. Design, execute and evaluate a public relations strategic campaign.
|Core Requirements 1||45|
For transfer students, please see the Advanced Transfer Core.
|Required Core Courses|
|Business Statistics (counted in University Core)|
|Macroeconomics (counted in University Core)|
|Public Speaking (or COMM 201)|
or COMM 201
|Core Business Requirements|
|ACCT 205||Accounting & Finance for Business Professionals||3|
|BUS 161||Business Essentials||3|
|or BUS 162||Quantitative Business Essentials|
|BUS 210||Business Law I||3|
|BUS 355||Management Information Systems||3|
|BUS 399||Business Internship||3|
|BUS 453||Business Policy and Ethics (Business School Capstone)||3|
|MGMT 130||Management & Leadership||3|
|or MBA 544||People-Focused Management|
|MKTG 131||Sales and Marketing||3|
|BCOM 247||Business Writing||3|
|MKTG 223||Public Relations||3|
|COMM 260||Social Media||3|
|BCOM 323||Intermediate Public Relations||3|
|BCOM 423||Advanced Public Relations||3|
|Select three of the following:||9|
|Promotion & Advertising|
|Intro To Mass Communication|
|Graphic Design I|
|Nonprofit Fundraising and Grant Writing|