Public Relations Major (A)
The Public Relations major focuses on building communication, developing problem-solving skills, and developing an effective, measurable campaign. Students will gain experience by designing, implementing and measuring a public relations campaign for actual organizations who provide consultation and feedback. Social media and brand management, crisis response, event management, content creation and reputation management are all integrated throughout the curriculum.
By fulfilling all of the course requirements for the Bachelor's of Science in Public Relations, students will be able to:
1. Write in a precise and persuasive manner.
2. Engage in effective and appropriate public speaking under a variety of circumstances.
3. Evaluate ethical dilemmas from a legal, practical, and spiritual perspectives.
4. Recognize the cultural differences in order to effectively communicate with diverse audiences.
5. Engage in substantial research including organizational, situational, GAP and diagnostic analyses
6. Create a crisis response plan and practice crisis communication strategies.
7. Design, execute and evaluate a public relations strategic campaign.
|Core Requirements 1||45|
For transfer students, please see the Advanced Transfer Core.
|Required Core Courses|
|Business Statistics (counted in University Core)|
|Macroeconomics (counted in University Core)|
|Public Speaking (or COMM 201)|
|Interpersonal Communication (or COMM 105)|
|Required Business Core Courses|
|ACCT 203||Financial Accounting||3|
|ACCT 223||Managerial Accounting||3|
|BUS 161||Business Essentials||3|
|BUS 210||Business Law I||3|
|BUS 355||Management Info Systems||3|
|BUS 399||Business Internship||3|
|BUS 453||Business Policy and Ethics (Business School Capstone)||3|
|FIN 300||Principles of Finance||3|
|MGMT 130||Principles of Management||3|
|MGMT 336||Human Resource Management||3|
|MGMT 450||International Business||3|
|MKTG 131||Principles of Marketing||3|
|BCOM 247||Business Writing||3|
|BCOM 260||Social Media for Business||3|
|MKTG 223||Public Relations||3|
|BCOM 323||Intermediate Public Relations||3|
|BCOM 423||Advanced Public Relations||3|
|Select three of the following:||9|
|Promotion & Advertising|
|Intro To Mass Communication|
|Graphic Design I|
|Nonprof Fndrsng & Grnt Wrtng|