Special Education Learning Disabilities Endorsement Grades K-12 (A)
Students develop the knowledge and skills needed to teach children with learning disabilities in grades K-12. This program combines rigorous coursework with hands-on experience to ensure candidates gain a comprehensive education. This certification is earned in conjunction with a certifiable program in Pk-3, 3-6, 5-9 or 7-12.
State Endorsement Code: SM
MTTC Test Code: 114
Professional Sequence Learning Outcomes:
- Plan, modify and apply evidence based instructional approaches that promote vocabulary growth.
- Implement texts that showcase a variety of viewpoints, genres, literary devices and audiences.
- Cultivate students’ literary identities through motivational and engagement strategies.
- Learn to provide opportunities for active listening and collaborative classroom discussions.
- Possess the knowledge of a plethora of literary texts relevant to secondary learners to encourage reading for pleasure.
- Connect teaching and learning to social contexts that promote student growth of critical consciousness.
The School of Education Program Learning Outcomes:
- SL1. Faith Integration: Candidates display the Christian principles that are central to the university’s mission.
- SL2. Caring Relationships: Candidates establish caring, supportive relationships with students, families and colleagues.
- RP3. Disciplinary Knowledge: Candidates demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the skills and frameworks of their content areas appropriate to their certification.
- RP4. Pedagogy and Instruction: Candidates understand and implement best practices of instruction and deliver well-differentiated and well-aligned instruction that empowers students as learners.
- RP5. Communication: Candidates demonstrated effective communication skills to enhance teaching and learning.
- RP6. Assessment: Candidates use various types of assessment to evaluate student progress and to improve their instruction.
- RP7. Classroom Environment: Candidates assess and respond appropriately to the cultures of diverse classrooms, schools, and the community.
- LL8. Professionalism and Personal Growth: Candidates engage in continuous growth by consistently expanding their professional knowledge, skills and dispositions.
Special Education Learning Disabilities Outcomes:
- Understand types, characteristics, and implications of learning disabilities on the progressions of learning, communication, physical, and social emotional skills development.
- Understand how to assess students with learning disabilities and how to develop individualized plans
- Teach and promote the development of students with learning disabilities
- Communicate and collaborate with students, families, general education teachers, and other members of the learning community
- Be professional and private in all dealings with students with learning disabilities
|Special Education Major (Learning Disabilities)|
|EDU 491||Intro to Learning Disabilities||3|
|EDU 492||Spec Ed Legis & Legal Guidelin||3|
|EDU 493||Mtg Social, Emot, Behav Needs||3|
|EDU 494||Coll w/Parents, Students, Prof||3|
|EDU 495||Deter Elig & Design Ed Program||3|
|EDU 496||Language & Literacy||3|
|EDU 497||Math Strat for Spec Lrng Needs||3|
|EDU 498||Inst Cont Areas Stud Lrng Dis||3|
|EDU 499||Dir Stu Teach in Spec Ed||6|