Parish Music Program - LCMS Rosterable (M)
The CUW Music Department contributes to the spiritual, artistic, cultural, academic, and co-curricular life aspects to campus life at the University. In doing so, the faculty is committed to blending talent and fellowship to the highest degrees of professional artistry in praise of the Lord's name. We additionally hope to impact our surrounding community while fulfilling our mission.
A Parish Music major provides students with an option to serve the Church as church musicians. Upon graduation, students may be placed on the roster of Synod as a commissioned Minister of Religion, classification: Director of Parish Music. To be placed on the roster, students must receive a call from a congregation. Graduates may be solemnly called to positions in congregations or recognized service organizations of the church, and may be eligible to be placed on The Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod roster with the designation “Minister of Religion Commissioned – Director of Parish Music.” Application for being listed on the LCMS roster involves steps in addition to application to the university. Applicants should contact the Music office for application information.
To gain degree-seeking status as a music major, a student must:
- Successfully pass a qualifying audition;
- Prepare and present a portfolio of musical activities and accomplishments;
- Audition by the deadline of the 2nd semester from the time of major declaration.
- Transfer students: have their transcripts evaluated by the music faculty for determination of credited coursework and hours.
Keyboard proficiency test or MUS 204 Keyboard Skills class required of all Music Majors.
A complete listing of enforceable Music Department procedures is published annually in the
Music Department handbook, which is issued at Music Major orientation.
- Goal #1. Students will exhibit competent performing skills on their major instrument.
- Goal #2. Students will exhibit strong theoretical/historical knowledge, demonstrated in performance (recital) and communication (writing/speaking) skills.
- Goal #3. Students will demonstrate competence in vocal, keyboard, and conducting performance skills at a professional level.
- Goal #4. Students will exhibit professional speaking, writing, and social skills appropriate to their major area.
- Goal #5. Students will demonstrate understanding of practical and aesthetic considerations (choosing music, teaching techniques, evaluation procedures, critical listening) appropriate to successful achievement in their chosen musical field.
|CUW Undergraduate Core Requirements 1||45|
|Major Requirements (Includes 9 credits of Electives)||59|
|Additional required courses in order to be listed on LCMS Roster||9|
For transfer students, please see the Advanced Transfer Core.
Parish Music Major Requirements
|Required Music Courses||59|
|MUS 080||Concert/Recital Attendance (each semester 0 crs) 1||0|
|MUS 240||Music Theory I||3|
|MUS 241||Music Theory II||3|
|MUS 242||Music Theory III||3|
|MUS 243||Music Theory IV||3|
|MUS 250||Beginning Conducting||3|
|MUS 271||Music History I||3|
|MUS 272||Music History II||3|
|MUS 351||Advanced Conducting||3|
|MUS 445||Composing and Arranging||3|
|MUS 461||Music in Worship||3|
|MUS 465||Survey of Christian Hymnody||3|
|MUS 491||Parish Music Pract/Internship (120 clock hours)||3|
|MUS 499||Recital (Service/Concert)||2|
|Applied Music: Organ, Piano and/or Voice (minimum: 4 credits of Organ)||14|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Issues in Church Music|
|Handbell Methods & Mater|
|Ensemble - choose from the list below (additional to Creative Arts option in Core) 2||4|
|The Symphonic Wind Ensemble|
|String Ens./Chamber Orch.|
|Concordia Civic Chorale|
|Additional Courses Required to be LCMS Rosterable 4||9|
|Office Professional Chrch Work|
All music majors are required to register for MUS 080. Not registering is the same as not passing. A music major must pass 7 of 8 semesters. If a student fails 2 consecutive semesters the student will be required to attend a hearing with the music faculty.
Participation in ensembles is required every semester while in residency (minimum 4 semesters for 1 credit each)
May include: MUS 273 Music History III, MUS 399 Junior Recital, or REL courses listed above (REL 203, 312, 404).
These nine credits may be part of a Theology minor or elective credits.
Students choosing not to be LCMS rostered must take an addition 9 credits for a total of 16 elective credits.