Technical and Professional Communication Major (M)
The overarching goal of the Technical and Professional Communication program is to prepare graduates to take complex information and make it consumable to internal and external audiences who may not have discipline-specific knowledge. Graduates will become more aware of the forms of communication and communication processes in order to successfully convey their messages. Courses in the major will emphasize written, oral, and digital communication skills.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Develop and present cogent, coherent, and accurate writing for general and specialized audiences.
- Communicated effectively to audiences by listening actively and responding constructively as Scripture instructs within various contexts.
- Draw from various disciplines to describe orally and in writing how existing knowledge or practice is advanced, tested, and revised in each core field studied.
- Distinguish and examine communication-related problems from a Christian perspective to better serve society.
- Cultivate appropriate organizational skills related to professionalism, work ethics, and attitude.
- Analyze complex data and be able to combine them into easily-understandable presentations utilizing excellent critical thinking skills.
|Electives - A Minor is required (Min 18 credits)||21-24|
|Required Core Courses|
|Public Speaking (Counts as Core - Communication and Language)|
|Graphic Design I (Counts as Core - Creativity and Expression)|
|Required Major Courses|
|BCOM 247||Business Writing||3|
|BCOM 300||Group Dynamics||3|
|COMM 201||Interpersonal Communication (Can not be used as University Core Communication Course)||3|
|COMM 205||Advanced Public Speaking||3|
|COMM 260||Social Media||3|
|COMM 280||Careers in Communication||3|
|COMM 333||Servant Leadership||3|
|COMM 335||Technical Writing and Speaking||3|
|COMM 339||Film & Video Production||3|
|COMM 399||Visual Rhetoric||3|
|COMM 435||Critical Thinking and Information Dissemination||3|
|COMM 460||Cross-Cultural Communication||3|
|COMM 490||Research Seminar||3|
|TPC Track (Select one of the following three tracks.)|
|Health Care Track||7|
|RSC 106||Medical Terminology||1|
|PHIL 350||Bioethical Dilemmas in Contemporary Society||3|
|MBA 620||Economics and Public Policy of Health Care||3|
|Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology (Strongly recommended)|
|High-tech Literacy Track||6|
|Foundations of Computer Science (Strongly recommended)|
|CSC 180||Systems Integration||3|
|CSC 420||User Experience and Interactive Systems||3|
|BCOM 380||Organizational Communication||3|
|or MGMT 340||Organization Behavior|
|MBA 513||Business Foundations for Administrative Professions||3|