Human Resource Management (EC)
Major: Human Resource Management
The Human Resource Management major develops the knowledge and skills necessary for management of the human resource function within an organization. Students develop interpersonal as well as technical skills in areas such as employment practices, staffing, compensation and benefits, training, and change management. Student learning goals for this major include the ability to:
- Demonstrate effective writing, public speaking, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Apply business management skills that successfully create a diverse workforce to achieve organizational goals;
- Recognize, clarify and apply important federal and state legislation, case law decisions, and executive orders that affect the employment relationship;
- Analyze a compensation plan that identifies and describes plan objectives, salary structure and fringe benefits;
- Identify organizational needs for safety plans in multiple areas governed by OSHA related to employee health, safety, and security;
- Engage management techniques that integrate employee and organizational development with leadership;
- Organize strategies for the recruitment, selection, training, retention, and development of employees;
- Gain an understanding of the elements of strategic planning for workforce and human resource development;
- Identify and describe the elements of servant leadership which apply to the work of the human resource professional.
|Core Course Required for Major 1||18|
Courses are listed in both the Core and the Major content areas, but are only counted once for the degree.
|AL 107||Student Success Strategies||3|
|AL 234||Speech Communication 2||3|
|AL 204||College Writing 2||3|
|AL 180||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|AL 159||Heritage of Faith 2||3|
|AL 169||Business Statistics 2||3|
|AL 272||Organizational Management 3||3|
|AL 270||Intercultural Communication 2||3|
|AL 271||Social Psychology in Workplace 2||3|
|AL 359||Human Resource Management 3||3|
|AL 265||Employment and Labor Relations 3||3|
|AL 266||Staffing Organizations 3||3|
|AL 267||Compensation and Benefits 3||3|
|AL 300||Training and Employee Developm 3||3|
|MGMT 345||Diversity, Inclusion, and Human Relations 2||3|
|AL 368||Philosophy of Values and Ethic||3|
|AL 472||Managing Change 3||3|
|AL 473||Integrat Proj: Human Res Mgmt (HR Capstone) 3||3|
|AL 371||Business Policy (Business School Capstone) 2||3|
Courses fulfill core requirements inside the major.
All students pursuing a Business major must earn a grade of C - or better in these required courses.
The Human Resource Management major is available online.