Financial Aid

Financial Assistance

Concordia University maintains the Financial Aid Office to assist students finance of their graduate programs. The primary sources of assistance available at Concordia University are educational loans. The Stafford Student Loan Program enables students to borrow federally insured loans through Concordia University. The interest can accrue until the borrower graduates. Students must be admitted and registered for a course before they will receive an award letter. Non degree-seeking students are not eligible for financial aid.

All educational loan programs maintain eligibility requirements based on a confidential “needs analysis”. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the required form needed to determine student loan eligibility. The FAFSA Application is available online at

How to Apply for Aid

A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is necessary for application for scholarships, grants, loans, or employment from Concordia. These forms need to be completed annually for possible renewal of financial assistance. The FAFSA is to be completed after October 1 and returned for processing to the address indicated on the FAFSA. Signed copies of you and your parent’s previous year’s Federal Income Tax Returns are also required if federal verification is required. Within one month after your complete application has been received at Concordia, you will be advised as to the various types of financial assistance for which you are eligible. These include employment, loans, grants, and scholarships administered by Concordia. If you are accepted for admission, a firm financial commitment will be made to you. Students are encouraged to apply as early as they can, applications received by March 1st will receive full consideration for all Concordia assistance which is available. Applications received after that date will be subject to the limitations of available Concordia resources. As a general rule, one half of the grants, scholarships, and loans are applied toward each semester’s tuition and fees. If you have any questions or need any forms, write or phone the Financial Aid Office. Detailed information is also available in the form of a fourteen page flipchart on the CUW web site. Any of the above forms are available on the CUW Financial Aid Website.

Graduate Scholarships

We’re excited to offer new scholarships exclusively for adult and post-traditional learners. Ranging from $150-$500 per three-credit course, these scholarships can be applied to a variety of programs and are available to employees of our corporate and academic partners, Concordia alumni, current students of Concordia University Portland, transfer students from Holy Family College, veterans and their dependents, and employees of qualifying Christian schools and churches.

Veteran's Benefits

Concordia is dedicated to working with our Veteran students and their families to ensure affordable tuition and our education programs have been consistently recognized as a great return on investment. Veterans have numerous options using military education benefits, applying for scholarships, and utilizing financial aid if needed.  Our department of specialists are dedicated to assisting you through the Admissions, Transfer, and Academic process. Our goal is to help every Active, Reserve, Veteran and their family member achieve their goal of graduating.
Veterans can utilize their military experience and training to receive college credits.  The Joint Service Transcript (JST) has replaced the following:

  • Coast Guard Institute Transcript (CGI)
  • Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS)
  • Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART)
  • Air Force personnel should contact the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) to receive transcripts.

To order your official transcript from JST, set up an account by visiting  Please order a free official copy to be sent to the Mequon Campus (it will be received by the VA Certifying Official office within 48 hours). 

Here is a list of Military Benefits used at Concordia University:

Federal Benefits:

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery G.I. Bill®
  • Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment
  • Chapter 33 Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®
  • Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance
  • Transfer of Post 9/11 to Dependents (TEB)
  • Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve
  • Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)
  • Concordia University is a Yellow Ribbon Program School

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

State of Wisconsin Benefits:

  • Wisconsin Veteran Grant for Private Non-Profit Schools
  • Veterans Education Grant (VetEd)
  • Wisconsin National Guard Tuition Grant

Processing of Military Benefits:

We recommend for all veteran personnel who have not applied for education benefits, to do so at Veterans will complete an application with their personal information and after submission, the process will review the eligibility status, and provide documentation regarding benefits that are available to use. 

Active Duty Personnel

Concordia University accepts the Armed Forces Tuition Assistance (TA) Programs. This program offers eligible Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, and Reserve members a benefit that pays up to 100% of tuition expenses for voluntary higher education taken during off-duty hours in support of professional and personal self-development goals.

Reserve Duty Personnel

Reserve personnel who are activated under Title 10 orders may qualify for the Tuition Assistance (TA) Program.  Each branch of service administers its own benefits criteria, including award amounts, eligibility, restrictions, and application process.

For more information regarding the use of Tuition Assistance please visit the following website: 

Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 (Chapter 31 and Chapter 33)

Allowing Veterans to attend or participate in courses pending VA payment

Background: Section 103 of Public Law (PL) 115-407, ‘Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018,’ amends Title 38 US Code 3679 by adding a new subsection (e) that requires disapproval of courses of education, beginning August 1, 2019, at any educational institution that does not have a policy in place that will allow an individual to attend or participate in a course of education, pending VA payment, providing the individual submits a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33.

Pending payment compliance: In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), Concordia University Wisconsin/Ann Arbor adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Readiness & Employment (Ch. 31) 

benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from VA. Concordia University Wisconsin/Ann Arbor will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class;
  • Provide a written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

If you have additional questions and would like to speak with someone in our Veterans Service Department, please feel free to contact our VA Certifying Officials.  For CUW students, contact Barb Ellmaker at 262-243-4350 or email and for CUAA students, contact Kwesi Betserai at 734.995.7396 or email

Financial Aid Good Standing and Satisfactory Progress Policy

Concordia University Wisconsin is required to establish and consistently apply standards of good standing and satisfactory progress to all students who receive funds from Title IV programs of federal financial assistance. These standards are applied to all students, in all levels, and in all programs, even to students in periods they are not receiving federal aid. This federal requirement is meant to ensure that only those students who make good progress toward their degree or certificate objective continue to receive financial assistance.

The following policies of good standing and satisfactory progress have an appeal procedure for use by anyone whose financial aid eligibility is terminated as a result of the Financial Aid Good Standing or Satisfactory Progress Policy. Those students affected will receive written notice of the appeal procedure which is detailed in Section E. Both standards of Good Standing and Satisfactory Academic Progress must be met in order for a student to continue receiving financial aid. No part of this policy has an effect on any student’s academic record either at this University or any other. Listed below is the financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress policy, the academic Good Standing is located in the Academic Catalog.

  1. Good Standing: A student enrolled in Concordia University Wisconsin is considered in good standing if allowed to continue in that degree or certificate program at Concordia University Wisconsin. Detailed information pertaining to the minimum academic requirements of the University can be obtained by referring to the appropriate section of the University’s catalog; this includes both GPA expectations and the maximum length of time to complete a degree for graduate programs. Students who are not in Good Standing with the University academic probationary policies are not eligible to attend Concordia or obtain financial aid.
  2. Satisfactory Academic Progress: Satisfactory academic progress is defined as successfully completing cumulative course requirements for a minimum of 67% of the cumulative number credits attempted (this includes transfer credits that are being used towards a students program), thereby making it possible for a student to make good progress toward a degree or certificate objective. “Successfully completing course requirements” is interpreted to mean that a grade of at least D- or P is received by a student. Incompletes, withdrawals/no credits, and audits, are considered unsatisfactory. Students repeating a course will be evaluated on the basis of whether or not the class taken in the given term is passed. However, incompletes, which are later changed into a grade of at least D- or P are satisfactory for Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress policy purposes (please note that D- is only “satisfactory” by financial aid standards not by University academic standards). It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office of such changes to previously incomplete grades. Progress is also calculated on the basis of, the student having a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better, this qualitative standard is reviewed again every term. Students repeating a course will have the lower grade omitted for cumulative calculations. Students in graduate programs (excluding the school of pharmacy) are required to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
  3. Normal Completion Time: As a full time student, your eligibility for financial aid continues for a number of years equal to 150% of the normal completion time for the degree you are seeking to earn. This is tracked on the basis of the number of credits attempted. Transfer credits that are accepted, and used towards a degree, are included in the 150% criteria. The normal completion time for particular degrees are as follows (this is calculated in years, based on a student attending full time each term):
    Degree Time
    Doctorate in Physical Therapy 3 years
    Master’s Degree 3 years
    Master's in Occupational Therapy 6 years
    Bachelor’s Degree in Education 5 years
    Bachelor’s Degree in All Other Programs 4 years
  4. Financial Aid Eligibility Warning Statuses: When a student does not successfully complete a minimum of 67% of cumulative credits earned versus attempted or does not have a CGPA of 2.0, financial aid eligibility status of “WARNING” is imposed. Aid automatically continues through one semester of financial aid eligibility status of “WARNING”. If a student does not make satisfactory progress during the semester of financial aid eligibility status of “WARNING”, or the student has reached the 150% of normal completion time, the student’s eligibility for financial aid in later semesters is terminated. Eligibility can be regained by raising the completion rate of credits attempted to 67% and CGPA to above 2.0, unless terminated for exceeding the 150% of normal completion time. The appeal procedure detailed in Section E exists for those students whose aid eligibility is terminated. Students in graduate programs (excluding the school of pharmacy) are required to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
  5. Appeal Procedure: Upon receiving a completed Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal form from a student whose financial aid eligibility has been terminated according to the provisions of section D, the Director of Financial Aid may reinstate the student’s eligibility. The appeal form will be sent to the students who were terminated, by official University delivery, and must be completed by the student and by the student’s academic advisor. Students can only appeal this status under one of the following extraordinary circumstances; illness, injury, death of family member or close friend, short term hardship, change of academic major (for completion time extension), or other significant extraordinary circumstance. The appeal must also include evidence that the academic advisor believes that the student can be successful, as well as including a plan from the student detailing what the extraordinary circumstance(s) were/are and their plan to be successful in future terms. Completed appeal forms must be returned to the Financial Aid Office, and will be reviewed by the Director of Financial Aid, or their designee. The outcome of student’s appeals will be sent via official University delivery. Students reinstated will be placed on Satisfactory Academic Progress “Probation”, and if they do not meet the standards in the next term will be terminated again. In circumstances where a student has appealed and is unable to meet both the 67% completion rate and the 2.0 CGPA requirements for SAP the outcome of the appeal may include an academic plan. This plan which will be created from the SAP appeal process will outline specific criteria that a student must meet during the semesters that this plan covers. Students who do not meet these criteria will be SAP terminated. Students in graduate programs (excluding the school of pharmacy) are required to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
  6. Tracking Systems: Those students placed on eligibility warning status or whose eligibility for aid has been terminated will have their progress tracked in the next semester. Once satisfactory progress is resumed, full eligibility for aid consideration will be reinstated and the student’s name removed from the tracking system. A student’s current SAP status is available for review at any time on their CUW portal account.