Financial Aid (EC)

Student Financial Responsibilities

Tuition is due for payment on or before the first night of class. The responsibility for making these payments rests with the student, not the Center, the Office of Financial Aid or the Business Office.  

Each month, a statement will be e-mailed to the student documenting payments in the account and payments due. Regardless of whether or not a statement is received, tuition is due on or before the first night of each course. Checks may be mailed to the Business Office, delivered to the Cashier’s Office, or turned in to the Center. Checks should include the student’s identification number (F00 number) to ensure proper credit. Students can view their account on the CU Portal (click on ‘Student Services’ tab, ‘My Statement’) and pay bills online.

Students anticipating to receive grants or loans must have completed the FAFSA application for these loans with the Financial Aid Office to begin class.

Questions should be directed to Concordia Financial Aid Office at: or 800.243.4569.

Financial aid will be processed after a student has registered and has submitted all necessary paperwork to the Financial Aid Office. Financial aid is awarded based on grade level and the number of credits a student registers for each term. At Concordia University, an undergraduate student is considered full-time if he/she attends and is enrolled in 12 credits per term (Fall: July 1st - December 31st;  Spring: January 1st - June 30th). Students who take less than 12 credits per term may be eligible for financial aid.  Students receiving financial aid must be enrolled and have turned in one or more assignments in at least 6 credits each term to qualify for halftime status.  

Grade level is based on the below completed credits:

Level Credits
Freshmen 0-29
Sophmore 30-59
Junior 60-89
Senior 90+

A student’s financial aid eligibility may change if a student changes their schedule after the term has begun by adding or dropping courses. It is highly recommended students meet with their academic advisor and financial aid counselor prior to dropping a course or registering for courses to avoid any schedule changes during the term. If a student fails to meet academic standards (maintain a 2.0 or better cumulative GPA), he/she will become ineligible for financial aid.

Federal student loans are available to graduate students seeking degrees.

  • Students may take a minimum of three graduate credits per semester to qualify
  • Campus-based students are eligible for up to $20,500 or up to cost of attendance per academic year to cover the cost of tuition, books, fee, transportation and living expenses
  • Students who apply through FAFSA will receive an email at their Concordia address after they are accepted to a graduate program and are registered for a course.  Directions for online financial aid acceptance will accompany the email

Concordia University offers Federal Title IV funding in the form of Federal grants and Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans. To apply for financial aid, students must complete the “Free Application for Federal Student Aid” ( each academic year.

Federal Pell Grant

This federal grant is awarded to undergraduate students on the basis of financial need and is prorated per class enrollment. The maximum amount of this grant per year is $6,095.

Federal Direct Subsidized Loan

This federal loan may be offered up to $5,500 per year depending on financial need and grade level. A Subsidized Loan does not accrue interest until repayment which begins 6 months after separation from the University or when a student is enrolled less than half-time (6 credits per term). The interest rate is fixed and changes each year. Interest fees and origination fees are subject to change per acts of Congress.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

This federal loan is an additional loan for educational expenses of up to $7,000 per year depending on eligibility and grade level. Interest begins when the loan is disbursed.  Payments may be deferred while the student is enrolled at least half-time but interest does accrue during this time. Repayment with interest begins 6 months after separation from the University or when enrollment drops to less than half-time (6 credits per term). The interest rate is fixed and changes each year. Interest rates and origination fees are subject to change per acts of Congress.

Independent students may qualify for the following amounts of student loans:

Credits Earned Loan Subsidized Unsubsidized
0-29 $9,500 annually $3,500 $6,000
30-59 $10,500 annually $4,500 $6,000
60 or more $12,500 annually $5,500 $7,000


Concordia is dedicated to working with our Veteran students and their families to ensure affordable tuition and our education programs have been consistently recognized as a great return on investment. Veterans have numerous options using military education benefits, applying for scholarships, and utilizing financial aid if needed.  Our department of specialists are dedicated to assisting you through the Admissions, Transfer, and Academic process. Our goal is to help every Active, Reserve, Veteran and their family member achieve their goal of graduating.
Veterans can utilize their military experience and training to receive college credits.  The Joint Service Transcript (JST) has replaced the following:

  • Coast Guard Institute Transcript (CGI)
  • Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS)
  • Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART)
  • Air Force personnel should contact the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) to receive transcripts.

To order your official transcript from JST, set up an account by visiting  Please order a free official copy to be sent to the Mequon Campus (it will be received by the VA Certifying Official office within 48 hours).

Here is a list of Military Benefits used at Concordia University:

Federal Benefits:

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery G.I. Bill®
  • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 33 Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®
  • Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance
  • Transfer of Post 9/11 to Dependents (TEB)
  • Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve
  • Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)
  • Concordia University is a Yellow Ribbon Program School

State of Wisconsin Benefits:

  • Veterans Education Grant (VetEd)
  • Wisconsin National Guard Tuition Grant

Processing of Military Benefits:

We recommend for all veteran personnel who have not applied for education benefits, to do so at Veterans will complete an application with their personal information and after submission, the process will review the eligibility status, and provide documentation regarding benefits that are available to use. 

Active Duty Personnel

Concordia University accepts the Armed Forces Tuition Assistance (TA) Programs. This program offers eligible Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, and Reserve members a benefit that pays up to 100% of tuition expenses for voluntary higher education taken during off-duty hours in support of professional and personal self-development goals.

Reserve Duty Personnel

Reserve personnel who are activated under Title 10 orders may qualify for the Tuition Assistance (TA) Program.  Each branch of service administers its own benefits criteria, including award amounts, eligibility, restrictions, and application process.

For more information regarding the use of Tuition Assistance please visit the following website: 

If you have additional questions and would like to speak to someone in our Veteran Services Department, Please feel free to contact our VA Certifying Official Barb Ellmaker at 262-243-4350 or email at

Employee Reimbursement

Many employers offer tuition reimbursement for students advancing their education. Students using Employer Reimbursement must have either the payment for each class or have financial aid in place on the start day of the class.