Director of Church Ministries Minor for Parish Music Major (M)

Students who fulfill a major in a field compatible with church ministries, such as parish music, and who wish to be certified through The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod as a Director of Church Ministries, may be certified after completing the Church Ministries Minor for Related Majors.  This program equips men and women to serve as a Director of Church Ministries (DCM) in congregations where the church worker solicits, trains and deploys lay people within the congregation to serve in a variety of service capacities.

Because of the nature of this work, all church ministries students must demonstrate good human relations skills and a life of Christian example. Graduates may be solemnly called to positions in congregations or recognized service organizations of the church, and may be eligible to be rostered in The Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod with the designation “Minister of Religion Commissioned – Director of Church Ministries (DCM).” Concordia University Wisconsin is the only synod school at which this program is offered. 


Required Core Courses
Old Testament
Biblical Theology
Any REL course with a number above 204
Required Courses
REL 203New Testament3
REL 312Office of the Professional Church Worker3
REL 404Lutheran Confessions3
REL 420Church Ministries Internship (or a comparable internship from major - agreed upon by all program directors)3
REL 229Religious Education of Youth and Adults3
or REL 227 Youth Ministry: Theology and Practice
Select one of the following:3
Faith and Culture
Religion in America Today
World Religions
REL 311Church in Mission (or REL XXX - any mission or evangelism)3
REL XXX (any upper level Bible course)3
Total Hours24

This major/minor is not permitted to share (overlap) any credits with the core curriculum, with a major, with a minor, or with a certificate per departmental policy unless otherwise specified in the curriculum. 

Program Admission

Application involves steps in addition to application to the university. Applicants for the Church Ministries minor should contact the Church Ministries office for application information.