Actuarial Science Major (M)
Students will learn mathematical and statistical techniques that are at the core of the actuarial professions. This degree prepares students with the mathematical and statistical skills to protect businesses from financial loss, assist individuals and companies in making secure decisions, and determine risk in insurance, finance, and other industries. Graduates will be equipped to pass Societe of Actaires Examp P and Exam FM.
Concordia University is one of the only schools of its size to offer an Actuarial Science program that has a certified professionally experiences actuary as its primary faculty member.
By fulfilling all of the course requirements for the Bachelor's of Science in Actuarial Science, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the mathematical and statistical techniques that are at the core of the actuarial profession.
2. Understand fundamental probability theory and its general applications, so as to be able to pass Society of Actuaries Exam P.
3. Understand the theory of interest and its applications in the fields of finance and actuarial science, so as to be able to pass Society of Actuaries Exam FM.
4. Apply technology to actuarial problem-solving.
5. Develop the skills needed for entry into the profession and continued success on the actuarial exams.
6. Gain a working knowledge of investment finance and financial markets, so as to be able to pass Society of Actuaries Exam IFM.
7. Gain an understanding of the actuarial profession by learning from professionals in the field of actuarial science.
|Core Requirements 1||45|
For transfer students, please see the Advanced Transfer Core.
|Required Core Courses|
|Macroeconomics (counted in University Core)|
|Public Speaking (counted in University Core)|
or COMM 201
|Required Business Core Courses|
|ACCT 203||Financial Accounting||3|
|ACCT 223||Managerial Accounting||3|
|BUS 210||Business Law I||3|
|BUS 162||Quantitative Business Essentials||3|
|BUS 355||Management Info Systems||3|
|BUS 399||Business Internship||3|
|BUS 453||Business Policy and Ethics (Business School Capstone)||3|
|FIN 300||Principles of Finance||3|
|MGMT 130||Principles of Management||3|
|MGMT 336||Human Resource Management||3|
|MGMT 450||International Business||3|
|MKTG 131||Principles of Marketing||3|
|FIN 121||Introduction to Actuarial Science (Introduction to Actuarial Science)||3|
|FIN 310||Basic Investing||3|
|FIN 315||Principles of Insurance||3|
|FIN 321||Financial Math for Actuaries||3|
|FIN 322||Probability and Statistics for Actuaries I (Probability and Statistics Actuaries I)||3|
|FIN 323||Probability and Statistics for Actuaries II (Probability and Statistics Actuaries II)||3|
|FIN 341||Investment and Financial Markets for Actuaries (Investment and Financial Markets for Actuaries)||3|
|FIN 424||Advanced Excel for Financial Analysis||3|
|MATH 201||Calculus I (counted in University Core)||4|
|MATH 202||Calculus II||4|
|MATH 203||Calculus III||4|