Finance Major (M)
Students will use analytical reasoning to effectively problem solve and guide long-term planning. Graduates will be prepared to help businesses, organizations, and individuals plan and wisely allocate money, as well as other assets.
CUW has an investment Club and CU Ventures Fund Management Program to enhance networking and learning opportunities outside the classroom. Students are provided with the tools to conduct comprehensive financial research and manage a real portfolio.
Program Learning Outcomes
By fulfilling all of the course requirements for the Bachelor's of Science in Finance, students will be able to:
1. Conduct financial analysis to assess the drivers of an organization's profitability and make recommendations to improve overall profitability or reduce risk.
2. Collect, organize, and analyze data to make allocation and investment decisions.
3. Make capital allocation recommendations to help institutions and individuals manage their resources and plan their operations using the various methods, instruments, and markets available.
4. Build an operating and financial plan for an institution or individual that includes financial projections.
5. Apply time value of money techniques to make capital allocation and project decisions.
6. Measure and properly analyze risk when comparing projects or other investment opportunities.
|Core Requirements 1||45|
For transfer students, please see the Advanced Transfer Core.
|Required Core Courses|
|Business Statistics (counted in University Core )|
|Macroeconomics (counted in University Core )|
|Public Speaking (or COMM 201)|
or COMM 201
|Core Business Requirements|
|ACCT 203||Financial Accounting||3|
|ACCT 223||Managerial Accounting||3|
|BUS 162||Quantitative Business Essentials||3|
|BUS 210||Business Law I||3|
|BUS 355||Management Information Systems||3|
|BUS 399||Business Internship||3|
|BUS 453||Business Policy and Ethics (Business School Capstone)||3|
|FIN 300||Principles of Finance||3|
|MGMT 130||Management & Leadership||3|
|or MBA 544||People-Focused Management|
|MKTG 131||Sales and Marketing||3|
|Required Major Courses|
|FIN 310||Basic Investing||3|
|FIN 340||Corporate Finance||3|
|ECON 332||An Econometric Survey||3|
|FIN 425||Securities Analysis||3|
|Choose three of the following||9|
|Principles of Insurance|
|Money and Banking|
|Advanced Excel for Financial Analysis|
|History of Economic Thought|
|Macroeconomic Crises in History|