Pre-Deaconess Program (A)
Since 1919, the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod has trained women to serve as deaconesses in the congregations and other institutions of the church. They have served remarkably in education, mission, administration, and works of mercy. Currently, the LCMS trains deaconesses on both the undergraduate level at Concordia—Chicago and the graduate level at Concordia—Chicago and at both Synodical seminaries. The pre-deaconess program provides financial aid, vocational counseling, encouragement, and support to women, as well as elevating the visibility of diaconal service. Pre-deaconess students are served by the pre-seminary director.
Grade requirements: GPA of 2.50 to meet seminary admissions requirements
Students select one of the following majors or minors:
The other major or minor required to graduate is left to the student’s discretion, though students are encouraged to match their studies with their anticipated areas of service (e.g., Family Life major, Music major or minor, Worship Arts Leadership minor, or Adolescent Studies minor).
Program Application and Acceptance
Application for Entry into the Pre-Deaconess Program
Since deaconess ministry is an office of the Church of Christ, it demands individuals exhibiting the highest level of talent, personal knowledge, aptitude, skill, and Christian character. For this reason the following criteria have been established for acceptance into the Pre-Deaconess Program. Application is generally made in the second semester of the sophomore year.
1. Successful completion of a minimum of 45 semester hours of credit.
2. CGPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. (Probationary acceptance may be given to students with a CGPA of at least 2.0 if other requirements are met.)
3. Evidence of proficiency in English appropriate to the pre-seminary program.
4. Submission of a completed application form, available from the pre-seminary director.
5. Completion of basic theology courses.
6. Exhibition of exemplary Christian life-style.
7. Interviews with and written recommendation of the pre-seminary director.
1. Notification of acceptance into the program will be made by letter.
2. Notification of non-acceptance or probationary acceptance of the applicant is made in a personal interview with the pre-seminary director. A formal letter of the decision is presented to the applicant during the interview.
3. A copy of this letter is filed in the applicant’s folder in the pre-seminary director’s office.
4. A student who is refused acceptance into the program may re-apply up to two more times.
To maintain ‘‘good standing’’ status in the pre-deaconess program, a student must maintain a 2.5 CGPA.