Graphic Design Major (M)
The Graphic Design Major consists of 58 credit hours of course work, 15-18 of which are completed through a cooperative program with the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD). To enroll in MIAD courses, students must have a 3.50 minimum GPA in all prior course work in the major. MIAD is just a 25-minute drive from our Mequon Campus and offers the very latest in graphic design technologies. A student graphic design lab is available on the Concordia University campus for students completing course work at MIAD. In addition to the 45-credit Liberal Arts core requirements and required courses listed below, all graphic design majors are encouraged to complete a minor. A Business or Marketing Minor is strongly recommended to help students develop the skills they will need to channel their talents into a successful career. Program requirements include purchase of a Mac laptop (available at reduced prices via my.cuw.edu).
For specific information about MIAD courses please visit the MIAD website at www.miad.edu.
- Formulate and creatively solve visual problems.
- Communicate effectively in a range of media.
- Apply appropriate historical knowledge in the creation, description and analysis of works of visual art. Art and design are viewed as technical, spiritual/philosophical, and social endeavors.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency and aesthetic sensibility relative to observational drawing, composition, and the manipulation of visual arts media, including appropriate computer/digital applications.
- Evaluate personal art work and the art work of others.
- Selflessly share gifts and skills with others through teaching, community activities, and volunteerism.
- Prepare documents/artifacts and practice strategies to seek employment or to advance in a chosen field.
|Core Requirements 1||45|
|Concordia Required Courses||40|
|MIAD Required Courses||15|
|CUW or MIAD Major Elective||3|
Minor: Optional (18 Credits Minimum)
For transfer students, please see the Advanced Transfer Core.
|Required Courses (Concordia Campus)|
|GD 110||Graphic Design I||3|
|GD 111||Graphic Design II||3|
|ART 145||Drawing for Art Majors||3|
|ART 111||2-D Composition||3|
|ART 130||Digital Photography I||3|
|ART 312||3-D Modelling||3|
|ART 246||Color & Media Dynamics||3|
|ART 285||Art History I||3|
|ART 286||Art History II||3|
|ART 310||History of Design||3|
|GD 360||Web Design I||3|
|GD 361||Web Design II||3|
|GD 460||Graphic Outlook-Practicum I||3|
|ART 450||Senior Portfolio/Exhibition||1|
|Electives: any CUW or MIAD Elective||3|
|Required Courses (MIAD Campus)|
|CD 200||Communication Design I||3|
|CD 201||Communication Design II||3|
|CD 202||Typography I||3|
|CD 203||Typography II||3|
|CD 303||Communication Design III||3|