Mass Communication Major (M)
As a graduate in the Mass Communication program, you’ll leave with all the skills you need to communicate effectively through a variety of channels. Not only will you be a stronger communicator, but you’ll also be a better leader. Having studied topics like interpersonal communication and cross-cultural communication, you’ll be ready to work with diverse groups of people. You’ll also be able to evaluate broadcast news writing and radio dialogue to critically think about the best way to convey your message. What’s more, you’ll examine issues within the field like building or breaking trust with an audience and analyzing why certain messages are effective. You’ll be ready to handle challenges in the field, stand out in the workforce and lead a life full of Christian service.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Develop and present cogent, coherent, and accurate writing for general and specialized audiences;
- Communicate effectively to audiences by listening actively and responding constructively as Scripture instructs within various contexts;
- Draw from various disciplines to describe orally and in writing how existing knowledge or practice is advanced, tested, and revised in each core field studied;
- Distinguish and examine communication-related problems from a Christian perspective to better serve society;
- Cultivate appropriate organizational skills related to professionalism, work ethic, and attitude; and
- Examine the role and impact of visual communication, mass media in society, and communication media.
The Mass Communication Major (45 credits) is fulfilled by taking the following courses plus the 24-credit Communication Core.
|Core Requirements 1||45|
Minor: Required (Minimum 18 credits)
For transfer students, please see the Advanced Transfer Core.
|COMM 105||Public Speaking *||3|
|COMM 201||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|COMM 205||Advanced Public Speaking||3|
|COMM 280||Careers in Communication||3|
|COMM 460||Cross-Cultural Communication *||3|
|COMM 490||Research Seminar||3|
|Take 3 total credits of the following 2 courses:||3|
|Beacon-Newspaper (at least one credit each)|
or COMM 193
|COMM 250||Intro To Mass Communication||3|
|COMM 321||Media Writing||3|
|COMM 329||Film History||3|
|or PHIL 371||Philosophy and Film|
|COMM 339||Film & Video Production||3|
|or COMM 351||Radio Production|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Advanced Film and Video Production|
|Select one of the following:|
|Gender and Communication|
|Philosophy and Film|