Actuarial and Data Sciences (M)
The Actuarial and Data Science program combines the skills and knowledge taught in Concordia’s data science program and eight courses in our current Actuarial Science program to create a major that is uniquely suited for a career as an actuary. The driving force behind this new program is the Society of Actuaries encouraging more data science in Actuarial Science curricula. The data science portion of the program contains courses in math, data science, and computer science, while the actuarial science classes emphasize accounting and finance. Together these skills will prepare students for rewarding and challenging jobs in actuarial science.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Students will solve real-world problems by applying the concepts and strategies of actuarial and data science, using computer software tools when appropriate.
- Students will communicate effectively using oral, written, and symbolic formats.
- Students will be prepared to pass The Society of Actuaries Exam P.
- Students will be prepared to pass The Society of Actuaries Exam FM.
- Students will analyze and interpret data using an ethical approach stemming from a Christian worldview.
|Core Requirements 1||45|
For transfer students, please see the Advanced Transfer Core.
|MATH 201||Calculus I||4|
|MATH 202||Calculus II||4|
|MATH 205||Statistics I||3|
|CSC 200||Coding I- Fundamentals||3|
|CSC 250||Coding II - Algorithms||3|
|CSC 430||Database Fundamentals||3|
|DSAA 200||Introduction to Data Science and Analysis||3|
|DSAA 300||Data Mining and Predictive Analysis||3|
|DSAA 310||Visual Analytics||3|
|DSAA 400||Senior Research Seminar||3|
|BUS 399||Business Internship||3|
|ACCT 203||Financial Accounting||3|
|FIN 300||Principles of Finance||3|
|FIN 310||Basic Investing||3|
|FIN 315||Principles of Insurance||3|
|FIN 321||Financial Math for Actuaries||3|
|FIN 322||Probability and Statistics for Actuaries I||3|
|FIN 424||Advanced Excel for Financial Analysis||3|