Music Therapy Equivalency (M)
*Advising with regard to the courses taken at Alverno College will be done with Alverno College MT Director.
The Music Department contributes to the spiritual, artistic, cultural, academic and co-curricular life aspects to campus life at the University. In doing so, the faculty is committed to blending talent and fellowship to the highest degrees of professional artistry in praise of the Lord’s name. We additionally hope to impact our surrounding community while fulfilling our purpose.
To gain degree-seeking status as a music major, a student must:
- Successfully pass a qualifying audition;
- Prepare and present a portfolio of musical activities and accomplishments;
- Audition by the deadline of the 2nd semester from the time of major declaration.
- Transfer students: have their transcripts evaluated by the music faculty for determination of credited coursework and hours.
Keyboard proficiency test or MUS 204 Keyboard Skills class required of all Music Majors.
A complete listing of enforceable Music Department procedures is published annually in the
Music Department handbook, which is issued at Music Major orientation.
- Goal #1. Students will exhibit competent performing skills on their major instrument.
- Goal #2. Students will exhibit strong theoretical/historical knowledge, demonstrated in performance (recital) and communication (writing/speaking) skills.
- Goal #3. Students will demonstrate competence in vocal, keyboard, and conducting performance skills at a professional level.
- Goal #4. Students will exhibit professional speaking, writing, and social skills appropriate to their major area.
- Goal #5. Students will demonstrate understanding of practical and aesthetic considerations (choosing music, teaching techniques, evaluation procedures, critical listening) appropriate to successful achievement in their chosen musical field.
L.A. Music/Music Therapy Equivalency Track
|Music Major Requirements 1||54|
|CUW Core Requirements||45|
|Social Science Requirements||6|
|Alverno Music Therapy Courses||38|
Music Majors who are already proficient in required instrumentation may have adjusted course totals. See footnotes for MUS 204 and MUS 235.
|Required Core Courses|
|Essentials Anat & Phys (OR) 4|
or CHEM 105
|Elem of Gen & Biolog Chem|
|MUS 080||Concert/Recital Attendance 1||0|
|MUS 130||Guitar Class||1|
|MUS 204||Keyboard Skills 2||2|
|MUS 235||Applied Guitar 2||2|
|MUS 240||Music Theory I||3|
|MUS 241||Music Theory II||3|
|MUS 242||Music Theory III||3|
|MUS 243||Music Theory IV||3|
|MUS 250||Beginning Conducting||3|
|MUS 271||Music History I||3|
|MUS 272||Music History II||3|
|MUS 273||Music History III||3|
|MUS 315||Tech of Teaching Voice||1|
|MUS 358||Teach Tech:Percussion||1|
|MUS 351||Advanced Conducting (OR)||3|
|Composing and Arranging|
|Social Science Requirements for Music Therapy Equivalency|
|PSY 230||Life Span Development||3|
|PSY 425||Abnormal Psych||3|
|Music Therapy Courses - Alverno College||38|
All music majors are required to register for MUS 080. Not registering is the same as not passing. A music major must pass 7 of 8 semesters. If a student fails 2 consecutive semesters, the student will be required to attend a hearing with the music faculty.
Proficiency-based: These courses are required based on skill level. Students who pass a proficiency test on this instrument are not required to take this course. This may change credit totals for Music Majors who are already proficient in Keyboard and/or Guitar.
Participation in ensembles is required every semester while in residency. Minimum 4 semesters for 1 credit each.
This course is included in CORE requirements.